CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

working it out

Today Aiyanna approached me while I was working with Deondre and Jaquan and informed me that Jima'Ya wasn't sharing the books in the library center. Not wanting to interrupt instruction, I told Aiyanna that it sounded like something that they needed to work out together, and turned back to Jaquan and Deondre. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aiyanna go back to the library and lean threateningly over Jima'Ya, who was sullenly slunk down on a bean bag awaiting the verdict. Aiyanna put one hand on her hip and sternly shook her finger at Jima'Ya and announced, "Ms. Marshall says you need to work it out!" It sounded more like an aerobics instructor than coherent directions, but it apparently resolved the issue, since there were no more complaints. Maybe Jima'Ya was intimidated by Aiyanna's body language, or perhaps the accusatory tone and the term "work it out" was enough to quell Jima'Ya into submission. I made a mental note that Aiyanna clearly didn't understand her part in the process of "working something out" for something to discuss some other day.

The photo is of Aiyanna. If I'm not giving her my complete attention, she'll say, "Come on, Ms. Marshall!" or "I'm ready." She's a saucy little girl, but she's almost always very happy, too.

0 comments: