CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

an extra few gallons of gas

I stopped by the gas station to fill up my car, and went inside to see if I could buy a five-gallon can to fill with gas for future emergency purposes.

Me: "Do you have any five-gallon gas cans?"
Station Attendant 1: "Are you out of gas?!"
Me: "No, I -"
Station Attendant 2: "You're out of gas?!"
Me: "No, the car's -
Station Attendant 1: "You're not out of gas?"
Me: "No, the car's fine. I'm fine. I just want to buy a can to put gas in."
Station Attendant 2: "What for? You're not out of gas?"
Me: "No, it's in case of an emergency."
Station Attendant 2: "Oh, for the future."
Me: "Right. Do you have any?"
Station Attendant 1: "We have one-gallon and two-gallon containers. Where're you going to put it? In the car?"
(Both laugh resoundingly)
Me: (Disdainfully) "And get in an accident and have my car blow up? No. I'll put it in the garage."
The conversation continued for another 10 minutes while I convinced them that this was not the weirdest thing they had ever experienced. They found a two-gallon container, dusted it off, demonstrated repeatedly how to use it, and then charged me 16 bucks. For a container that holds two gallons of gas. I fill up my entire tank for less than that. Bah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it bad to have a can of gasoline in your car? I don't have one, but I always thought it was okay. Will it really blow up if I get in an accident?

Victoria Blanchard said...

I bet if you had told them it was for your lawn mower, they wouldn't have laughed. Or if you had been a man. I hate the way I am treated by men who do anything with cars or things that go in cars. Too bad I'm in charge of getting most of our car maintenance and repair done.