CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 26, 2009

black history month

Today I met with my administration to discuss instruction. She wanted to know what I was planning on doing for Black History Month. My initial response of 'learning about Black history and the people who shaped it' was not enough. She relayed a story of a friend/relative of hers who teaches first grade. In one learning center, the students boarded a bus, paid the fare, got off the bus, and went to the back to get on the bus. According to my administration, "These students were really into it. They knew exactly what they were doing and why they had to do it. They were really into the whole movement." What movement? I'm all for teaching history, but this feels more like propagating racial resentment than anything else. I'm uncomfortable teaching only Black history for the entire month, despite the pressure to do so. What about my three Hispanic students and my one White student? We didn't celebrate a month of Hispanic heritage, and I can't think of any inherently White holidays that we have celebrated. How will they feel during a month of celebrations that they cannot participate in? Last year in the neighboring class, the teacher asked if anyone knew anything about Martin Luther King, Jr. The response? "White people killed him." Thankfully the teacher didn't leave the discussion at that, but it shows the mindset that already exists. I guess I'm struggling with the difference between celebration and segregation that occurs everywhere, but especially in our schools.

0 comments: