CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

lunchtime conversation

Today during lunchtime, Mikea appeared at my classroom door (leaving the lunchroom during lunchtime is strictly prohibited): "Ms. Marshall, I need to use the bathroom."

Mikea had the opportunity to use the bathroom 15 minutes before, and had looked me in the eye and told me she didn't need to use it.

Me: Mikea. You need to go back to the lunchroom. You know we don't use the bathroom during lunchtime. Can you hold it for a few minutes until I come to pick up the class?"

Mikea: "Ok." (She leaves.)

Approximately 3 minutes pass. Mikea is at the door again (which is still strictly prohibited): "Ms. Marshall, Zy'Aire burped."

Me: "Mikea. You need to go back to the lunchroom. And stay there."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were a teacher, telling kids that they can't go to the bathroom would be a HUGE dilemma for me. I mean, I KNOW how it feels to have to go real bad. And I also know what it's like to lie about needing to go just to get out of class for a bit.

What to do?

Shawna said...

It's true. I resolve my dilemma by making sure each child has the chance to go, and then having very little mercy if they decide not to use the bathroom. Some kids haven't learned to know if they need to use the bathroom, so I make those kids use the bathroom before we go anywhere, just in case. Most of the time that takes care of it.

Unknown said...

Shawna,
They just can't stay away from you! They love your companionship. So do I.
Love, Mother