CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the power of the No Child Left Behind video

In one of my GMU classes this semester, the professor brought in a video about NCLB in a high school in Baltimore. It's been fascinating; those will be my students in ten years, with all the same problems. We've all been mesmerized, and the discussion about that video has been amazing. We can't stop talking about it and how to fix some of the problems we see. The professor only shows it in 1/2 hour segments, which has been killing us. That's the only reason we come to class. I don't think that the professor realizes just how much power that video has on us. I hope she doesn't think we're so engaged because of her amazing discussion facilitating abilities. We finished the video last class period, and we were devastated. There's a rumor that the professor skipped part of it, so we're hoping that we'll be able to see it again next time, but if not, I'm not sure how everyone will get through the class period - I guess the solitaire and sudoku will be coming out. I feel a little bad for the professor when she realizes that we actually don't care about the subject matter - we just want to figure out a way to fix the problems we're all struggling with. I think she may find the discussion quite different from before.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawna! I just stumbled onto your blog, and I'm so excited. Can't wait to read your musings.