CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

nicknames


One of my students is insisting on being called KK. This is slightly ridiculous, because his first name starts with a C and his last name with a Q. He doesn't have a single K in his name, much less two. For the record, I enjoy nicknames. I think they're great. But there are nicknames appropriate for school, and there are nicknames that aren't. "KK" is pushing the limit. It's a bit of a term of endearment. I'm not against terms of endearment, either, but I prefer to use them when I'm finding the kids endearing. I don't find them endearing all the time. And terms of endearment don't always fit with the tone of voice I use. (Should I feel guilty about this?) Today I was taking some student information down to the office and saw that a parent had requested that we call her daughter "Bubbles." Honestly? Bubbles? There will be no "Bubbles" in my classroom. I refuse to call anyone "Bubbles" who is old enough to walk.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I, too, struggle with terms of endearment. What could be more endearing than a good friend saying your given name?

Lara said...

Bubbles huh? :o) Well hopefully they can at least spell their names...I have kids here who spell their names differently every time I give then an assignment. It boggles my mind to no end. How can you not know how to spell your name? Plus nearly every kid has two names and sometimes they write one or the other... also frustrating. :o) I hope you are well. I miss you!